Thursday, August 31, 2006

A door or a fence...



I realized today that for some people in my life, I have been a door and for some I have been a fence.

My desire would be that my influence, friendship, parenting, spiritual leadership would open up people to the kingdom of God and most importantly the King of the kingdom. But for some people they could not see that door but were only retrained by me. My life was a fence and not a door. I kept them from something instead of becoming a doorway to something. The mystery of all that is that the person often determines what I am by who they are. For some I become a door that leads to life and for others I am merely a fence that they see as a barrier to something they think they need. When I am out of the picture...so is the fence....and the dog runs wild.

Sometimes we pray to be a door but are only a fence and at other times we think we are a fence and in reality we are a door...it often depends on what path the traveller is on and at what given point of their journey they are on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Profound? Yes.
Uncommon? No.

"...it often depends on what path the traveller is on and at what given point of their journey they are on."

How true. So much is completely out of our control. The actions of others are sometimes so greatly influenced by THEIR past that what WE do makes little, if any, difference. THEY choose to view you as a gate or a fence. There's a saying in NA... "Acceptance is the key to many of my problems."
Remember Eric, Ted Williams "failed" 6 times out of 10 but is still considered by many to be the greatest baseball hitter to ever live.
Wes