Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Necropolis Books...


Necropolis Books
Originally uploaded by ericblauer.
Necropolis Books: "Where the old dead guys still speak"
He being dead, yet speaketh. -Hebrews 11:4

This will be the name and image of our bookstore at Jacob's Well. I am so tired of always searching for the type of books I want to find and not being able to located them around here. So I am gong to try to become the answer to my own problem, which seems to be the way I always end up doing things. Pray for something and end up being called to become it.

So...Necroplois Books will soon be opening in the Green Room at Jacob's Well. I will start small but I will start. Hopefull through dontations, gifts and enthused old dead guy book lovers, we can start building a collection first and then start selling them too.

I really want to create a place where one can read the Purtians, The early church fathers, the reformers and other great authors that though dead...still speak...through their writings of course.

"Every age has its own outlook. It is specially good at seeing certain truths and specially liable to make certain mistakes. We all, therefore, need the books that will correct the characteristic mistakes of our own period. And that means the old books." -C.S. Lewis

By despising all that has preceded us, we teach others to despise ourselves. -William Hazlitt, 'On Reading Old Books', 1821

Please inquire of past generations and consider the things searched out by their fathers. For we are only yesterday and know nothing because our days on earth are as a shadow. Will they not teach you and tell you and bring forth words from their minds? -Job 8:8-9

The words of wise men are like goads and masters of these collections are like well-driven nails; they are given by one Shepherd. –Ecclesiastes 12:11

How different it is with the man who devotes himself to studying the law of the Most High, who investigates all the wisdom of the past and spends his time studying the prophecies! He preserves the sayings of famous men and penetrates the intricacies of parables. He investigates the hidden meaning of proverbs and knows his way among riddles. –Ecclesiasticus 39:1-3

Cicero once said, "A room without books is like a body without a soul."

Many of the books I have, I have not read, I just want to be the sort of person who has read those books."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea and name and skull. You Christians rock! You might however get some rockers coming wondering "what?" But I can't wait to stop in. ~Matt

FCB said...

This just makes me giddy! Great quotes by the way, all dead guys.
The down side is I'm going to have to climb around my attic and dig out books I can endure parting with. Won't be easy.