Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Book pushing hussy...


Hope deferred makes the heart sick, But desire fulfilled is a tree of life. -Proverbs 13:12

My hopes were dashed on the rocks of consumer madness reality, as a book lovers vain pursuit for the elusive "2 books" was ended in the aisles of not one but TWO Powell's book stores in Portland. Yes, there I sat, dumbfounded, mystified, disillusioned and dare I say...crushed, as I discovered that my always faithful, ever fruitful dealer of all things paper...was barren. Yes, the great and mighty Powells books, a massive three story multi-city block Valhalla of literature...was nothing more than a cheap all talk, no show book pushing hussy. I was furious with her...luring me with promises of bibliophile ecstasy. Like a mariner mesmerized by the soft siren call, I braved miles of nasty weather, mind numbing and butt cramping driving, child bickering insanity...just to be let down. Passed by like a buck toothed freshman at a senior winter dance. Oh the agony, I was so disappointed I wandered around in a jaded lovers daze and in the end walked out of the manuscript mecca...with nothing.

2 comments:

MaryMGlynn said...

hehehehe I love this post. I am the same way in a book store. If Heaven has a book store I will be more then pleased! Merry Christmas!!!

Michael McMullen said...

Dude. That made my heart sick. The idea that Powells could possibly not have a book is...is...blasphemous in some way. How, oh how, can the book lover ever trust again?

This calls for sackcloth and ashes.