Monday, December 31, 2007

Dad...


"It doesn't matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was." -Anne Sexton

This is Frederick Christian Blauer III, my father, or more acurately...Dad.
I am Frederick Christian Blauer IV and my eldest son is Frederick Christian Blauer V.
I am proud to call myself a Blauer and to call this man my father.

Not because of who he has been, as much as...who he has become.

Isn't that a more worthy test of a man's life? Anyone can point to moments of goodness, seasons when he was better than at other times. But it is the fruit of age that proves the healthiness of the tree. This man has grown more into a man worthy to follow the older he has become. I think that is wisdom. Not that I don't treasure many times past, reflections on the way he was with me as a son. The countless hours of talks, prayers, enjoyment, adventure and ministry. I do.

When my parents divorced, I chose to live with my dad...I never regret that choice.

I love my mother and she was a gift from God for my childhood, and I am forever grateful for who I am, that is part of her.
But I needed my Dad to become a man...and he came through for me. Thanks Dad...for showing me Christ in human hands and in a human heart. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. Having someone who wants to talk with you, is a gift in this world. I treasure talking to you and listening...I will remember that above all.

Love,
Frederick Christian Blauer IV

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have sat here and read this three times now, hoping to find the right words. I suppose if there is anything in life that a man wants; it's that his children would appreciate him. You being a father of four know exactly what I mean.
In view of all my failings, this post is treasure to me. Take all that I have, but let this remain,
Love Dad