Wednesday, December 26, 2007

utterly eclipsed...


Eric Unplugged
Originally uploaded by ericblauer.

"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the Muses, believing that technique alone will make him a good poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the performances of the inspired madman" - Socrates

I've been pondering why I was so moved by the movie "Once". I've noticed that for some reason I am somewhat alone among friends, as far as how deeply stirring that film and more so the music was for me. It's melody has been haunting me. It seems to unlock my heart somehow. Scary, how it seems to do so, so easily. One moment you fancy yourself to be so safely locked up and secure then some poet comes along and turns your water to wine and you find you were far more thirsty than you feared. And you greedily drink up the offering with lips that seem parched for anything that can heat up the blood again....or at least make it run freely in your frozen viens.

I think am at a place that I am feeling the weight of eternity in the moment to moment. I've been carrying something within me that wants out and hearing another brother express his inner turmoil in such a raw way...resonated with me like a tuning fork splits crystal.

For me...this movie was a small bush burning. I heard a voice in the voice...a wheel within the wheel. Two normal people intertwined by music...helping one another along to the next step. Simply a living word for this traveler.

"By reading the scriptures I am so renewed that all nature seems renewed around me and with me. The sky seems to be a pure, a cooler blue, the trees a deeper green. The whole world is charged with the glory of God and I feel fire and music under my feet." Thomas Merton

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a humbling thing to be so moved by a poem, song, prose,movie or person; and then hoping to spread the inspiration, it falls on deaf ears. It has happened so many times in my life I scarcely dare to share anymore. But, when a story makes the big screen, have no doubt, many see what you saw and felt what you felt.
Love Dad

Anonymous said...

The movie "once" was very refreshing. Very simple in story yet rich with masterful songwriting. This film isnt really a "musical" but a story surrounding a handful of songs with pain-stricken emotion. (betrayal, heartache, hope,)

Glen Hansard played the part. The passion and conviction in his voice moved me to pick up my own guitar and play from the heart!

Thanks to director John Carney for not killing this wonderful depiction of two individuals with a cheesy Hollywood ending!

-spence