Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Healing prayer in the YMCA

Yesterday I was a the YMCA working out and during my exercise I was
listening to a POD song called "Strength of my life". As I was
listening to that song I entered into it in a fresh way and the
anointing began to bubble up from my spirit as I worshipped in my head.
I have been in this situation at the Y before, where praise and prayer
merge together and I find myself starting to slip into the spill out
zone, sometimes I begin to weep but luckily it looks like sweat or that
I am a wimp and can't take the work out :)

Yesterday something different happened though, as I was singing, the
actual words slipped out and I sang it out loud, just the chorus but it
still caught me by surprise. There was people milling around but I
wasn't watching them. Then this thought came to my mind to raise my
hand in worship. OK, that was a weird thought, not the normal place to
engage in charismatic worship! But it was strong and I felt compelled
to do it, so I did, twice, not long but enough to look totally odd.

After the work out I was in the locker room and there was an elderly
gentleman from our church who was crouched over on a bench. I could
hear him murmuring or praying or something. He had his head in his
hands, it looked odd but I moved on and showered. As I came back in, I
noticed a couple YMCA staff around him and realized he was having some
health complications.

I dressed and came over to him and kneeled down next to him, he had
been in the sauna after working out and when he came out, he passed out
and woke up on the floor and then vomited in a garbage can and was
currently being soaked in towels and trying to regain his strength. He
was not looking good. I laid my hands on him and he asked for prayer,
which I had planned to do. I prayed for him with the two staff right
there and one of them even laid his hands on him too. Afterwards he
regained his strength and we took him to the hospital.

I had forgot about the quickening and the raising my hands in the gym
until I was running this morning.

I wondered if the Lord called those hands up for a reason this morning.
A man in that locker was going to need those hands laid on him and the
anointing was being stirred up before the need. It reminds me of the
scripture that says...before you called, I answered. In that case,
before he needed prayer, God was preparing the answer.

God's power...By my hand...preached it on Sunday and called to
demonstrate it on Monday! Amazing God.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's amazing! That's encouraging when you see your obediance to the Spirit rewarded through someone else's life. It brings perspective, that this life isn't all about "me" at all.

Speaking of amazing, your sermon on Sunday was incredible! I don't think I'll ever forget it, and it totally goes along with the spirit of "dreams" that our church has been entering into. It's one thing to pray and dream big, it's another thing to actually pursue it diligently, at all costs. I've got dreams, and I was encouraged last night to start taking the first steps needed in fulfilling them.
Thank you, Eric, for your passion in life.

Unknown said...

Rach,
Thank you for the positive feedback, you are too sweet.
I look forward to seeing all that the Lord is bringing about in your own season of renewal. I can "hear" it in your voice and read it in your posts here nad on your blog. You are loved, I am so proud of the woman and wife and to be mother you are and are becoming.

Anonymous said...

You know I am no Charismatic (is it a condition;)... but I believe we all have a right to love God in the way we choose. And I fully support your idea here that God had something planned for you in the Y. The basic question here is are we willng? Are you going to do something? Or are we going to creep past and finish what we planned for ourselves? Ready and willing, or... not? Glad you're my brother. -Matt