Saturday, March 04, 2006

real men and sex



John Cassavetes said:
I don't understand all this interest in nudity. This desire to bare it all. Bodies are boring. It's our imaginations that make them interesting. Every woman looks better with her clothes on than naked. I tell my daughters that.
Playboy is the worst - to try to make it sophisticated for an audience to swallow; then, ten years later, they come up with a few pubic hairs. Isn't that wonderfully daring? I loathe Playboy. They just do it because there's money in it. Because we live in a Puritan society.

We've become a voyeuristic society. I also think we're starting to lose faith in the idea that one man and one woman can totally please each other in bed. Sex is becoming something of a community activity; more and more people have to hop into the sack together in order for all of them to achieve sexual satisfaction. That kind of thing finally robs sex of all its deliciouis and very private pleasures. When sex becomes commonplace, when the girl you want is trying out half your suburban community and the same is true of you, where are the romantic and secret pleasues you need out of sex?

I don't like sex to be ordinary and rational and organized and sane. That was what kept me away from meeting Elia Kazan [Director of "On the Waterfront]. As a young man, I saw him with these three girls going upstairs in a club. I never wanted to have anything to do with him after that. Maybe I would have liked him. Maybe I am a prude. But it just shocked me. I want more out of life - more than the knowledge that I can peform.

(Thanks Matt for the quote.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When Adam slept with Eve, it was referred to as him knowing her. There was no wedding ceremony, no rituals, no tradition. It wasn't just a moment of passion, it was a moment of connection. It meant more than vows, more than regulations. It meant so much, it produced offspring. You never see each other the same afterwards, you never are the same afterwards.

While one man might trample on a rose without notice, another man might pluck that rose and admire it. Which one understands life more? Which one enjoys living more?

Anonymous said...

"romantic and secret pleasures..." I especially agree here. Can we imagine if sex were so private that we only learned about it from intimacy with our mates? How much we learn from tv and gossip that is totally worthless and like he says makes it "ordinary". Which reminds me Eric, you should really watch some of his films, I promise you won't be dissapointed. "Husbands", "Woman Under the Influence", and "Love Streams" are good places to start. I think you will find it like, finding truths, unsettling and fantastic. -Matt