Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Beyond Rangoon (1995)


Laura (Patricia Arquette) is trying to pick up the pieces of her life after the murder of her husband and son, and goes on vacation with her sister to Burma. After losing her passport at a political rally, she is left on her own for a few days, during which time she falls in with students fighting for democracy. She and their leader, U Aung Ko, travel through Burma, whilst witnessing many bloody acts of repression by the dictatorship, in an attempt to escape to Thailand. Based on a true story.

LeeEll and I watched this last night for the first time...man, what a movie. Really helpful to see and feel the Karen/Burma situation better. I talked to a lady the other day who was at the riots in Rangoon; it was moving to hear her talk about it but to see it in film, added a lot more perspective.

I will show this film at our church movie nights for sure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This movie was my first exposure to the plight in Burma. I don't know why I picked it up, maybe because of Patricia? Anyway, I was glued to the edge of my seat.
Not done in documentary style, fully Hollyweird, but apparently some good can come from there.
Intense would be to understate it, first class acting. Some scenes are too graphic for children under 12 I'd say. For those who have some understanding of Burma, it becomes even more engrossing. A must see movie.
Dad