Friday, August 10, 2007

Men's ministry....???


da-vinci-man
Originally uploaded by ericblauer.

I am currently spending time working out some of my thoughts about men's ministry. Most of what I have experienced with men's ministry has been hit and miss. It seems often to be irrelevant, formulaic, tired, forced, overly religious and disconnected generationally.

I have often felt that all the supposed role modeling that is pushed becomes yet another burden on my overworked, under-empowered man mind. Some men;s ministries and material try to harness men's love of working with their hands and building and turn the ministry into another part time job of do good projects. Is service to community worthwhile? For sure but not as a crowbar being used to force men into some vision of manly ministry.

Then there is the sin issues. Somehow a quest for genuine relationships get turned into some form of strange potty policing...called accountability partners and groups. This becomes suffocating, intrusive and strangely emasculating. Instead of teaching men how to live with the drive of stallions we are browbeat into religious forms of castration. Geldings we become in the hands of some men's ministries.

Is potty policing the pinnacle of what the church has to offer men?
With these thoughts running through my mind, I realize that ministry that further takes men away from family & home has to really be thought through.
I am putting together a ministry plan that explores 6 archetypes of manhood:

Warrior.
Lover.
Craftsman.
Bard.
Seer.
King.

Each of these archetypes speak to the different parts of a man's life. Each symbol represents an area to grow in, explore and understand.
In the context of a multi-generational pursuit through various adventures that are both external and internal.
All in relationship with older men, brothers and rising sons.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have given a lot thought to this as well Eric. It's my belief that because of the "lone wolf" make-up of the male gender it's double difficult to have a cohesive, regular, fruitful mens ministry. We're not like women. God made woman with the desire (need?) to be social, to interact with other women on an emotional level. Getting together as a group fills that need in most cases. He didn't give that desire and/or need to men so the stereotypical mens get-together seems to either fail immediately or fizzle over time. So what to do? Tough one. All I know is that my wife is much happier with my attitude when I have a group of men to just sit down and vent to once in awhile. A small group of men I trust works well for me but may not for others.

Anonymous said...

Oops. Forgot to sign the above.
Wes

Anonymous said...

Traditionally, most Men's Ministries could fall under the banner, "Pancakes and Shame" The tagline could be "They're both stacked against you." I'm all for a revolution!
-Dan

Anonymous said...

I only need a hug from a man every five years or so. Isn't that what community service is for? You do something bad and then you hang out and shovel and talk. (Ok, there might be something else...) ~Matt