Friday, August 24, 2007

On the hunt...


Micah, Christian, Kona and I went for a hike to get out of the house and get some fresh air. We were able to catch a good meals worth of grasshoppers for Micah's snake that he caught on our Deep Creek Hike. He is now after a frog for his man-hole collection. While were looking for frogs, we noticed we were being watched by something in the water. A couple turtles were raising their heads up out of the water like little periscopes, checking out the commotion. They came up pretty close, close enough to lure the boys out into the murky water to try to catch them. Of course Kona helped foil the plan by invading the water too. Well at least the snake is happy...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This kind of picture launches me back 50 years when I was captivated by exploration, the hunt, be it cricket, spiders, red ants, or butterflies. I like the line in Beecher's "Star Papers"

"Oh, the eagerness and freshness of youth!
How the boy enjoys his food, his sleep, his sports, his companions, his truant days!
His life is an adventure, he is widening his outlook, he is extending his dominion, he is
conquering his kingdom. How cheap are his pleasures, how ready his enthusiasms!
In boyhood I have had more delight on a haymow with two companions and a big dog-
delight that came near intoxication-
than I have ever had in all the subsequent holidays of my life...."

I'm afraid it was a rare experience indeed when I had opportunity to roll up my pant leggs and wade into a pond, rarer stil, to find a pond with life in it.
Love Dad

MaryMGlynn said...

By B.G. Wetherby

A homeless man or woman,
Another child of God.
You'll turn your back. and then walk away,
Because you find them odd.

No fireplace or warm, dry bed,
No family to call their own.
In the cold is where they sleep,
That's where they call home.

Exposed to natures elements,
On a frozen bench they lie.
While you sleep in your warm house,
Fed, secure, and dry.

That could have been you instead,
You are but one bad break away.
Then everyone can treat you
Exactly the same way.

Buy them a warm and hardy meal,
And stop being critical.
Give them shoes with out holes,
You can be the MIRACLE!

"Cast aside a brother, so too, shall I cast you."

Jesus Christ


http://www.authorhouse.com
ISBN: 978-1-4343-0806-1


Eric this poem says it all! I LOVE THIS POST YOU DID!!!