Friday, August 31, 2007

Foul fowl...

This is what Kona, my black lab, looks like after a couple of days at the lake cabin. I let her off the leash to train her to be a leashless dog. I went for a walk in the woods and for about 20 minutes she obeyed. She would run off a ways and look behind to see if I was there and if I protested. It was a good start.She wears her self out every time we go. She loves the water, in fact, this dog would swim until she drowns. She goes wild on the leash when the local ducks come strutting around her area. They seem like they taunt her. So I attached a long rope to her and let her loose to chase the foul fowl out of the dock area...she took off like a bat our of hell...and broke the rope! off she charged into the lake, over the dock and off into the deep water! the ducks went scambling for thier life. I thought she was going to swim right out into the middle of the lake. But thankfully she listened to me and came back. I thought I was going to have to get the canoe and go drag a drowned dog out of the lake. I only wished she would have caught one to teach them a lesson.

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

This summer when I went camping, I saw the funniest thing! A duck was swimming near the shore and somebody's dog went running into the water and started paddling after it. The duck just seemed to casually swim away from the dog until the dog got too close then the duck flew a little to get further away. By then, the dog's owners were calling it back to the shore, and it went back in. THEN I see the duck swimming back towards the shore!!! It was definitely taunting this poor dog! The dog chased after the duck again and the same thing happened and it got called back to shore, then held onto by its owner. Then the duck had the gall to swim back to shore and start walking around on the sand!! It was hilarious!