Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Something summer brings....


rest
Originally uploaded by ericblauer.

He has made an everlasting covenant with me, ordered all things and secured; for all my salvation and all my desire, will He not make it grow? -King David (Psalms 23:5)

It seemed all most selfish to read this portion of the Psalm this morning. Dare I hold it as a promise for me as well? In light of all that is wrong in the world...catching a glimpse of all that is right, is desperately needed. Spending moments that suspend time, stop the clock...a proverbial "snooze button" in the rush of our lives. Oh, I am feeling it bad. But as I look at this portion of God's word to me...I find the promise rejuvenating.

All my desire....growing.
Expanding my experience of His salvation.
Enlarging my ability to taste and see.
Deepening my longing for all that He is and all that He has given.
Being free to shed the weight of the world that so often ties my shoulders up into a mess of emotional knots.

To just slowly glide backwards down the slide with my feet dirty from a shoeless walk; momentarily oblivious to anything else but now.

“Summer is the time when one sheds one’s tensions with one’s clothes, and the right kind of day is jeweled balm for the battered spirit. A few of those days and you can become drunk with the belief that all’s right with the world.” ~Ada Louise Huxtable

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am reminded, with posts like this, and days like you described, what a wonderful way God knitted our minds together. The uplift "when the green gets back in the trees",
the inner glee when we hear the laughter of our children, or anyone's children. Pausing a moment to capture the sunset, a brook babbling along. It is a great mercy that we have so many countless ways to rejuvenate ourselves and they are common and free to all.
Thanks for sharing,
Dad