Saturday, September 29, 2007

Death of a loved one...

I officiated a funeral for the mother of a friend of mine Thursday. The elderly husband was there remembering 54 years of marriage to his wife. It was my first official funeral with all the formal stuff at the funeral home, following the hearse and graveside ceremony etc. I didn't know the woman, so I had to dig deep, read about her life and listen to the Spirit of put together a memorial service that had meaning. It's moments like these that crafting words is a gift that I enjoy. Weaving together scripture, poems, memories and prayers to gently lead people into the presence of God and to reflect on the joys and sorrows of living. I wrote this poem to capture the challenges of trying to share in a moment the beauty of a lifetime with someone. The apostle James said that all of us... “will pass away like a wild flower. For the sun rises with scorching heat and withers the plant; its blossom falls and its beauty is destroyed.” (James 1:9-11) I based my words on this scripture.

Lost in a Field of Flowers.

I stumbled on a a hidden canvas,
a field that’s only audience was heaven’s gaze.
Each step through the wild artists glen,
was scented by a thousand open faced flowers.
Their only intent seemed...to fill the air with beautiful intoxication's.
Such elaborate waste it seemed...to paint the season for such a short time.
Who casts their pearls of delights onto the open ground for birds,
wandering deer and passing clouds?
I wondered in my delight.
I plucked a flower for my journey home...delicately holding its splendor in my hand,
in hopes to hold onto the moment and to share with another.
But each step away...was one step closer to a moment when it was not, as it had been.
We can not hold the flower forever...except in our hearts...in our minds...
But in moments of quietness,
when the warm summer’s breeze stops me by the nose,
I smell that day...that moment...and I am alive again,
lost in a field of flowers.

This music video captures some of what I saw and felt:When you're gone

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sitting here with a lump in my throat thinking about the poem and music video and I'm glad this man had you to apply the grace of God's comfort to the service.
I'm glad you entered into this opportunity with a mission mind, to honor a 54 year love; one of God's greatest graces, offered to all. Your poem so demonstrates that death can only take so much, we are left with the riches of memory as long as we live. Thanks be go God for His caring design.
I can sense the moment through your post; may the husbands heart be comforted through his grief.
Love, proud father.

Anonymous said...

Amazing Eric,

That is wall worthy. I'm going to share this with my family. My grandma just seems to have no hope in regards to my mom. She cries about it at the slightest trigger. I cry too but not despair like her.

Only God can restore souls...I will fear no evil; for thou art with me, Thy rod and thy staff they COMFORT me.

I hope she will experience this someday..even in her old age.