Wednesday, September 05, 2007

a glimpse of the pearl...

"One who has just come from reading perhaps one of the best English books will find how many with whom he can converse about it...our reading, our conversation and thinking, are all on a very low level, worthy only of pygmies and manikins." -Thoreau

Ugh...I read this and sighed...

I just finished reading such a book and I am currently reading another more dense, moral stretching, values pinching book and am frustrated to be fermenting such words locked inside me. Even blogging about it seems empty of being able to truly touch the depths of the truth expressed in these books. It feels like I briefly opened a sacred clam and saw the pearl, even touched it and yet now, it has closed upon me. Leaving me but a nagging memory of a world worth living in.

And yet, people walk by me, talk on and on, mumble about trivial things, bark at shadows and I am left to speak with tongues of angels only...unable to articulate the glories and the sorrows read.

Sometimes I hate reading...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've just begun "The Journey of Desire" by Eldredge. I think I'm going to like it. It begins with a similar theme as this post. He begins with a quote from Pascal-
"we are never living, but hoping to live." Our quest to live above mediocrity is punctuated by phrases in the first chapters like the following--
"what is available seems at times close to what we want, but never quite a fit."
"Once in a while life comes together for us in a way that feels good and right and what we've been waiting for. These are the moments in our lives that we wish could go on forever."
And lastly,-- "Our desire, if we will listen to it, will save us from committing soul-suicide, the sacrifice of our hearts on the altar of "getting by." The same old thing is not enough. It never will be."
Love Dad

Unknown said...

that is one of my favorite books.

Michael McMullen said...

I need a little clarification.

Is there no one you can discuss what you're reading?

Is articulating what you're reading proving difficult? I highly doubt that one from you. You're one smart cookie.

Or is the real world not living up to the written one? I get that one, only with film.

Or is it an amalgamation of the aforementioned factors, quid pro quo, et cetera, et al?

I think I see what you're saying, but through a glass darkly.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Pray tell, what book haunts your soul and holds you captive to its musings, under whose spell you cannot utter repeating its perfumed words to your hollow eyed companions? .....
....in other words...
Who is my competition for your attention?
LeeElla ;) (the wife)

Anonymous said...

i love that LeeElla... lol. Good point.

Unknown said...

I'll try to explain myself more...for I feel it is not a laughing matter...in the least.

Anonymous said...

Forgive me if I mixed humor with my question of which book you were referencing. Didn't mean to step on your toes.
Love,
LeeElla