Thursday, September 06, 2007

Emerge...


In the last post I refrenced books I am or have lately read, they are: "Walden" by Henry D. Thoreau. I finished reading "Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer. The point of the last post is the communication gap, that often exists between heart and mouth and person to person. It's a matter of the chrysalis of revelation, maturation and contemplation...acts that are often painfully personal...and apt for misunderstanding. I think it would be like explaining what being pregnant is like. What woman could really connect about that with a man...I dont think the true essence of the experience is going to be one that both could truly share. As for what I am trying to say...I was trying to express the inner frustration at various things that frustrate me and challenge me concerning life at this moment.

It's hard to explain I guess...the dominant rule of triviality is a despotic lord these days. We waste so much time on stuff that has no eternal value. Hours are spent living a second life, while the real one is shrinking, shriveling and slipping away and it seems everyone loves it so. Doesn't this enrage anyone? I find it quite troublesome...like the scene in Titanic when the musicians are playing soft music on deck of the sinking ship...a melodic masterpiece to soother the doomed and drowning...how apropos.

I have been challenged to resist the banality that is putting its boot into the face of meaningful conversation. There is a place for laughter, for entertainment, for light hearted refreshment but not at the expense of real life. Like an alcoholic who is drinking himself into an early grave...we are being sloshed into slavery by our own numbing escapes! Our own self induced comas are hamstringing us from running the race of life. We are falling asleep and we applaud every devilish narcotic that sends us there. These two books were like a hard mamma's slap across the face...it stung but made me pay attention!!!

As Thoreau said: "I did not wish to live what was not life...and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived...I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life..."

2 comments:

Michael McMullen said...

Boy. Do I ever hear that.

Anonymous said...

All is vanity!

and yet

Do what lies in you, and God will assist your good will. -Kempis

Otherwise I would sit around with my hand on my head and my wife might slap me and tell me to get a job! Which sometimes happens.

Matt