Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Cameras lie to me...

I just got back from a couple days at the lake and while I was there, I gathered pictures for potential paintings. Here are some images that caught the mood and feel of the experience from an artistic viewpoint: http://gallery.me.com/fcb4#100330.

I'm working at finding shots that I can capture that reflect the feeling of the moment, person or place. It's hard finding and capturing the colors, composition, angle and perspective of a conscious experience of something in a moment but I am working on it.

I enjoy using the camera for expression just as much as other art mediums...at times it seems easier. Now I know that is amateur ramblings and all the pros will strangle me with higher wisdom but honestly at the moment I feel comfortable in my infancy as a photographer. I know that what comes out isn't necessarily always good art...but the process requires less of me than working with other mediums. It seems the odds of hitting the jackpot are more often, than with my other tools of expression. Example, I can capture a persons face and all the complexities of their persona, a million times better than anything I will draw or paint. So for me...a camera makes me feel like a better artist...most of the time...I know she is lying to me...but I still relish in her digital seductions.

Now I can't take pictures like this camera maestro; but I am still undaunted and a humble aspiring student.

5 comments:

Michael McMullen said...

Thanks!

The more you shoot through a camera, the more you'll start to see what it sees. The rest will flow from that.

And if all else fails, I can teach you some mad tricks in Photoshop.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the dark side....buahahahahah!
LeeElla

dreamchaser77 said...

I love the camera! I know exactly how you feel. I always wanted to be an artist, but could never get the picture to look like what's in my head. The camera gives me so much freedom. My only wish is that I had the Photoshop program so I can play with the colors.

Unknown said...

Ahhh...photoshop...the rich artist's plastic surgeon.
I got to get me some of 'dat creative botox.

Darin said...

One day a very talented photographer told me that there's only 3 things needed to make a beautiful photograph. 1)composition 2)moment 3)lighting
I quickly learned how challenging it is to bring those 3 simple elements into a single image! Nevertheless, I still find it refreshing that in our world of digital photography with the endless technological options at our disposal, it still only comes down to those 3 things to make a beautuful picture.

Darin