Monday, July 20, 2009

Crazy On You....


via videosift.com
This is classic rock...you got to listen to the screams at 3.00, 3.30, 3.45 and 4.00...good stuff baby!
It reminds me of this interview I read in Rollingstone with Kelly Clarkson when she was asked what she thought about new singers using the tech-voice enhancers such as "Auto-Tune". She said: "There are cool effects you can do with it, but when they just use it to correct pitch, that pisses me off, because it takes away the emotion. if it were perfect you might as well listen to a robot. You don't have the records anymore that are like Aretha or Janis. Even if it was off a little bit, it was great, because it sounded like they were aching."
It's one of the reasons I love Bob Dylan...many people dont like him because of his voice...yet, its his voice that I love. It's the beautiful mess of it...the raw and gravel like humbleness that smells of old leather and feels like rock under bare feet. I read this quote in the same Rollingstone: "After I first heard him, I got upset because I couldn't figure out what else there was left to say...I decided not to listen to him again or Id go home with my hat in my hand. So I threw out all my Dylan tapes in the Brazos river." -Billy joe Shaver.

To play without passion is inexcusable. -Beethoven

5 comments:

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

I love the classic oldies so much I title many of my blogs to them. Love the music. Enjoyed your blog.

wes said...

Ann Wilson has always been one of my very favorite female leads! What a set of pipes! Saw Heart in my hometown when I was in high school and I plan on seeing them when they play in Boise this weekend. (30+ years later...lol) They always perform with such passion. Good taste, Eric.
Great quote by Shaver, btw.

Anonymous said...

Her voice is in my top three! I have learned a lot just by listening to her stuff from the time I was a teen. Passion, texture, tone, ability to change up how she's singing and the cadence in which she delivers it, is one in a million. She is STILL freaking unbelievable after all these years- the sign of a true artist.
LeeElla

wes said...

You have learned well from her LeeElla. I can't tell you how many time after listening to you sing on a Sunday morning I have looked over & saw tears in my wife's eyes.

Unknown said...

How was the concert Wes?

Give me a call bro...I miss your deep radio voice.