Thursday, September 10, 2009

Band of Brothers...Why We Fight.

This episode in the Band of Brothers series, hit me like an emotional ton of bricks. I think it was more powerful than Schindlers List for me. I found myself truly getting angry at various points during the episode. The scene in the Cheese and Bread shop after the Allied Forces discovered the concentration camp was most visceral to me. Knowing that many of those German towns people knew of the atrocities outside their city got me wanting that solider to pull the trigger on the baker who was throwing a fit because the soldiers were taking food for the victims. I also felt the anger of the soldier cussing out the captured SS soldiers that were being marched down the highway. I felt the horror of new recruits discovering the houses of dying and dead in the camp...over and over, it was a emotional ride. What a hard hitting series, I dont think anything compares to it.

On a negative note...I was disappointed by the sex scene that came out of nowhere in this episode, no chance to edit or turn...just in your face...that was over the top. I understand the desire to explore the complex relationships between the conquered and the conquering and the ecstatic liberated people, the divorcing homeland spouses and the soldiers loneliness and the abuse of it all...but this scene was tackless. Other than that and the rough language throughout the film...I give this series 5 stars, two thumbs up etc..etc...it is the best war movie/series that I have seen.

And "The Pacific" looks like its going to be an excellent follow up to Band of Brothers, I cant wait to see it.

3 comments:

Michael McMullen said...

Agreed. On every point.

The Pacific looks awesome.

Wes said...

ghostly, surreal. I do hope they touch on the Bataan Death March in The Pacific. Not as well known as the Nazi genocide but no less horrific.
Mans inhumanity to man because of religion, race or nationality never ceases to sadden me. The generation portayed in Band of Brothers is rapidly dying off. By the time you and I are in our 70's, there will no longer be any veterans of WW2 left. I encourage you to sit down and just talk with one, if you haven't already, about their experiences. If they are willing. Keep in mind, many of the fighting men in that war were very close to the age your Christian is now. And on the German side, some were the age of your Austin. Hard to fathom.

dave j said...

I make it a point to watch this movie (like 9 hours or so) every memorial day weekend. Like the events of today, 9/11, there are some things in history that deserve to not be forgotten. It reminds me for the rest of the year that sometimes there is a high cost to be paid for not speaking up for what you know is right. If enough of us sit on our hands and do nothing, this same grief will visit again and again on this earth. Can I volunteer to host a edited viewing of the series next memorial day weekend? Perhaps a Spokane gentlemen's society outing? I'd be honored.