Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Jesus...and the line of priests from Sodom

In the NT Jesus is identified as the High Priest of the order of Melchizedek. This priest was part of the confederate of kings of Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities(Genesis 14:17-24). Did someone forget to tell me that in Sunday school? The Lord Jesus is identified as High Priest of a bunch of wild west, pagan towns that got toasted with a deluge of heavenly fire and brimstone; because of their wanton luxury, laziness and outright disregard for the poor and their rabid gross immorality (Ezekiel 16:49-50 & Jude 1:7).

Strange group to be identified with...not your typical Focus on the Family endorsed organization.

It seems strange to me that in a culture war concerning homosexuality; we never have heard anything about Jesus' identification with this priesthood. It amazes me that in our attempts to biblically maintain the scriptural boundaries for godly morality, marriage and healthy sexuality...we somehow forget the very people Jesus chose to embrace as His priesthood clan. I believe the scriptures are clear in defining Homosexuality as a sin of the flesh...but, Jesus's method of redemption scandalizes me and challenges my rightwing, conservative, fundamentalist upbringing. I imagine Jesus wouldn't fit into my approved demographic of righteous and moral priests, if He showed up on the scene today in San Francisco. Would I move to that city and follow such a man? Would the ministry and priesthood of Jesus be a stumbling block to me?

Jesus...is a radical and subversive teacher...but I wonder if we truly have even grasped His teaching...

It reminds me of how the locals used to say of Jesus" "Can anything "good" come out of Nazareth?" (John 1:46).
I dare say...we would probably say the same thing today if He came again.

Can a godly priesthood come out of Sodom?
Can we dare follow a priest from such a place?
What does that say about Jesus?
What kind of reputation does that give Him to be bearing such a title?
What priesthood does that make us part of now...?

It sure makes me look differently at this scripture: "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light." -1 Peter 2:9

Can anything good come out of Sodom....apparently, Yes.

2 comments:

k said...

Great points! ;)

Matt said...

I was just reading something on this. Isn't the point of similarity of Melchizedek and Jesus clear in Hebrews 7:16?