Thursday, February 24, 2005

Our deepest fear...

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." Mirianne Williamson. I know that this woman isn't a Christian teacher but I think she hits on a important point about living out the new creation life. Who we are is so much more than who we have been. Who we will become by God's indwelling and transforming life is so much more than we can ever comprehend. You are in Christ and to be in Him has eternal and temporal ramifications of eternal consequence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like this quote very much. The first part is a little syrupy, but none the less, true and as she goes on I find it hard to believe she is not a Christian, certainly has good insight.
I am so encouraged in worship when people are unafraid to be free, assuming they stay in the bounds of reality, I remember the first time I saw someone dance, I was brought to tears, I can remember hearing Frank Cabellero shouting Hallelujah across the sanctuary, and having chills knowing the Lord was touching him and hoping I was next. Maybe that is what is so encouraging, that it brings one to a state of expectancy. That works.
I wish I were more free, but something in me holds me back to some degree. Pride? Dignity? low self-image? who knows, been going on so long, hard to figure.
Anyway, that's how I related to the piece.
Dad