Thursday, August 28, 2008

Does prayer really do anything...?

Does prayer really do anything...?

I think the above article clearly outlines what I was presenting on Sunday and during our bible study on Wednesday night. I confidently stand on the position that this paper expounds; and intend to root our minds, hearts and church practice in the truth it teaches. I feel this position is biblical, honors God's character and power and yet, holds the tension of man's role, responsibility and opportunity.

I am fully aware that this subject is fraught with abuses, misunderstandings, false teaching, especially from the those who come from a Word of Faith, hyper-charismatic or Pentecostal background. At the same time I know that those who have been raised in the Calvinist tradition can swing so far into the realms of Sovereignty that life starts sounding like a predetermined plan that looks like the theological errors of fate, destiny and the straightjacket of Islam and greek mythology. Some ideas about prayer can start sounding very Deistic: God wound up the world and is just watching it spin out on its own and we are simply along for the ride...victims of cold, calculated, pre-determinism. With all the opinions, experiences and church backgrounds in our circle; we are presented with a very real challenge to remain centered on the whole counsel of God and not swing to far to either side. That isn't just a safe view, but a healthy, biblical one...in my opinion.

I encourage all discussion, and hope we can all be humble, quick to listen, slow to speak, approachable, teachable and yet, always rooted in biblical truth; as we explore our way forward in regards to the rhythm and call to prayer as individuals and a church.

1 comment:

Mel said...

GREAT article! Amazing! And I really needed to read it.

The Sovereign God...

Works through prayer...

For His glory.

(AMEN!)

I love it when God begins a teaching in the depths of my heart, in vague, inexpressible thoughts - ghosts of thoughts - and then brings EXACTLY the right message to my attention at exactly the right time to bring all of those vague thoughts out into the light of understandable ideas. How incredible He is!

I've wrestled with this concept for years. When prayer requests come flooding in, I've not known what to do with them. Some of them I can pray for passionately, and others I only go through the motions of praying for while my mind wanders to other things or I fall asleep.

I truly believe that when God wants to move through my prayers in a certain situation, it is HE who will plan the desire, motivation, passion and language to make those prayers a reality. It's so freeing and yet another example of how light His burden really is.

Bless you.