Monday, March 09, 2009

Portland trip...

This is the Hawthorne District in Portland Oregon, a strip of culture, hippie chic, multiple choices of shopping, art, cafes and lively street music...and plenty of eclectic people to gawk at. Oh and they even have a smaller Powells books too. My dad and I hung out here on Friday, enjoyed the sun, good food and the joy of finding almost all the books on my "Find and Buy" list. Saturday, the Dailey family and I discovered that you can purchase "Elephant Dung" paper in the Hawthorne District; yes, it's true, I wouldn't lie about such a fact.
This is Powell's books, a mecca for any book lover. I was able to find the remainder of my book list purchases and a few other choice finds that I've been wanting to read. I cannot express the deep inner angst that I wrestle with because Spokane doesn't have anything close to this bookstore...but...it does have a darkside...in fact, I think it rivals “Mos Eisley" in Star Wars, though not a "spaceport"...I am sure " You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.” at least that's true in the restroom on the Gold room floor. Yes there in the crowded restroom, I saw (only by chance of course) a man ( I say that hesitantly) taking a leak next to me at the urinal and to my inner horror...he placed his bare naked hand, right on the cold, dirty, yellow stained porcelain of the urinal! Now, any man knows that standing and peeing is an art and sometimes one might be unsteady if one has had a few beers or is fighting with vertigo; but minus those challenges, there is no excuse for one to do such a thing, while doing before mentioned business. I almost reached for my light-saber to cut off that vile and forever infected hand...but instead, I backed out in a daze of unbelief not wanting to leave a mess....
This is the Hawthorne Fish House a great stop for good fish, dark beer and good times with friends. No urinals...

2 comments:

MaryMGlynn said...

book store looks like a little bit of heaven :)

Andy said...

My favorite part of P-town, and hands down the best bookstore in the Pacific Northwest if not this side of the Rockies.