Saturday, February 07, 2009

Rich Mullins...on loneliness.

In the 1980s Rich Mullins moved to Nashville, Tennessee to begin his professional recording career. Mullins was engaged sometime between the late '70's and early '80's and had written the song Doubly Good To You (recorded by Amy Grant on her album Straight Ahead) for the wedding. However, his fiancée broke off the engagement, at which time Mullins wroteDamascus Road. Years later Rich shared thoughts about his relationships and personal life in a radio interview with Rick Tarrant:

"I would always be frustrated with all those relationships even when I was engaged. I had a ten year thing with this girl and I would often wonder why, even in those most intimate moments of our relationship, I would still feel really lonely. And it was just a few years ago that I finally realized that friendship is not a remedy for loneliness. Loneliness is a part of our experience and if we are looking for relief from loneliness in friendship, we are only going to frustrate the friendship. Friendship, camaraderie, intimacy, all those things, and loneliness live together in the same experience... I have no interest in anybody else and she is married to someone else so that's the way it goes and I don't mind that. Right now I cannot imagine that life could be happier married than it is single so I'm not in a panic about getting married. And I think, you know, maybe God wanted me to be celibate and the way that he accomplished that was to break my heart. So that's the way it goes." (Info is from Here)
And here is one of my favorite songs of his.

1 comment:

Mel said...

That's one of my favorites of his songs, too. And I thoroughly enjoyed reading this peek into his mind and heart. I think we can all identify in some way with his thoughts and feelings. I know I can, for sure.