Thursday, June 01, 2006

About serving my Father...

"People can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of all
people knows that."
-Homer Simpsons

I posted some statistics on pastors and ministry and some response to
them the other day but thought, at the prodding of my father, that I
would add a few more thoughts.

I shared in the comments section of that post about the reality of
the sacrifice and suffering that is a part of this pastoring/ministry
thing. But the truth is...that is just life. Yes, there are some
unique realities that face pastors and their families but in the end,
we all face challenges. In this world you will have tribulation as
Jesus put it. But...that is not the end of the story because Jesus
also said to be of good cheer, because He overcame the world. Which
to me means, that the world and all it's suffering doesn't get to
have the final say as to how this story goes.

Trust me if it wasn't for the sweetness of the fragrance found in the
rose of ministry, I wouldn't be to sure If I could endure the thorns
found on it's stems. I know it sounds so spiritual to talk all about
the rewards awaiting us after we die because of our faithful service
here on earth but can I be honest; serving Jesus has been far more
rewarding than any work I did for the devil!

The blessings that have followed me all the days of my born again
life are just as real as the trials. And the struggles pale in
comparison to the joys that also await us after death. But don't be
fooled into thinking that there are not sweet paths of enjoyment in
the house of our Father. His home is a house of abundance and I have
found music, dancing and a fattened cafe in His house. He has always
clothed me with the finest robe, maybe not the richest but the
finest. Maybe not the most expensive in the eyes of the world but
always priceless in eternal things. The love, the memories, the
peace, the joys of family, the personal growth and the pleasures
found in Him, the opportunities I have been given, the blessings of
service and all that comes with that. The treasure of being able to
walk with people for years and see them grow through life and be
there at various stages of their growth is amazing. Watching them
struggle through teen years, wrestle with finding their life mate,
marrying and being there to hold their babies and watch them begin to
struggle as parents and spouses too. What a privilege, what an honor,
what a joy.

Nothing I have had to endure can in any way compare to the riches
that I have been given or at least been able to hold for seasons.
Many times I have cried out in gratefulness and disbelief as David
did... "Who am I Lord, Who am I?

God is a good God and I am forever indebted to Him for His abundant
mercy, grace, favor and richest blessings.

Serving Him never seems like servitude.

1 comment:

tony said...

Yo dude when we going out again!

Tony